St. Thomas’s Day School was founded in September 1956 by the Reverend William Randolph Robbins and the congregation of St.Thomas’s Episcopal Church. Although a mission of the Church, St. Thomas’s Day School is not limited to a denominational outlook. From its inception, the School welcomed students of all backgrounds, races, and creeds.
When the School opened its doors, there were a few children in the nursery school and a staff of two volunteers. Within a four-year period, the nursery was replaced by a Junior Kindergarten, and each successive year a grade was added until the school included seven grade levels, Junior Kindergarten through Grade Six. The first Sixth Grade class graduated in 1970.
Over the years, the school has grown in the number of students and in the quality of its program offerings and facilities. Although an increase in size and numbers has characterized St. Thomas’s development, a warm, intimate, and nurturing environment still prevails.